This Week In Veloren 142
This week, we learn about some proposed changes to how Airshipper downloads updated assets. We also learn about some changes coming to jewelry.
- AngelOnFira, TWiV Editor
Thanks to this week's contributors, @Sam, @ubruntu, @xMAC94x, @nwildner, @Slipped, @UncomfySilence, @zesterer, @MHK.2012, @kaedr, @Socksonme, @KaliKatz, @Sharp, and @imbris!
@zesterer reworked the aurora shaders (along with how lighting at night is handled). You can see the results below. You can read this week's meeting notes here.
Asset downloads by @Christof
Motivated by the network speed issues with Airshipper, I recently made a proposal for incremental downloads of the game. See the discussion in this thread for more details. Basically, this proposal will send the checksum of all the files to Airshipper which will download only missing and updated parts of the archive - using either individual file sub-archives or full directories as needed. These sub-archives can be generated from a complete archive, on the fly by a cheap server-side logic, and are fully cacheable. The assets are even identical across architectures.
Also, I found that of the 200MB distribution file only 66MB are taken by the
daily changing binaries, the rest is typically unchanged. Further investigation
showed that the 66MB for
shrink to 40MB by using a more efficient
.lzma or .xz) instead of deflate (aka
.gz or zlib). Typically we might avoid this less portable compression method in
zip files, if the archive was meant to be extracted by a different program than
Airshipper. In Airshipper, we can bundle
lzma-rs to decompress this format (which is
also supported by 7zip and newer winzip versions).
Sneaking by @ubruntu
This week, I refactored character states a bit so that sneaking isn't its own
distinct state in the
CharacterState enum, but rather it's an attribute of the
"idle" state. The wielding and equipping states also got a stealth variety, and
the end result is that players can pull out their weapons while sneaking. Shout
out to @Slipped for doing all the animation work.
Jewelry changes by @DoctorKompot
Recently, I've been working on an update for jewelry. Existing rings are being reworked and some new necklaces are getting added.
Legendary necklaces (yellow borders):
- Ankh of Life - Drops from Mindflayer, an energy-based necklace
- Carcanet of Wrath - Drops from Minotaur, gives crit power
Epic necklaces (purple borders):
- Cultist Amulet - Drops from Mindflayer, similar stats to the Cultist set, well balanced
- Diamond Necklace - Craftable, similar stats to the ring, but stronger
- Ruby Necklace - Craftable, similar stats to the ring, but stronger
- Emerald Necklace - Craftable, similar stats to the ring, but stronger
Rare necklaces (blue borders):
- Fang Necklace - Craftable
- Haniwa Talisman - Drops from T3 dungeon boss (Golems)
- Honeycomb Pendant - Craftable
Uncommon necklaces (green borders):
- Sapphire, Amethyst, and Topaz Necklaces - Craftable, similar stats to the rings
- Gold Necklace - drops, from Sauroks, humanoids, and large cave monsters
- Seashell - craftable
- Gem of Resilience - (renamed from Gem of Lesser Protection) drops from T2 dungeon boss
Common necklaces (grey borders):
- Pendant of Protection (used to be named Plain Necklace) Drops from T1 dungeon
- Low-Quality Necklace (basically starter item) Scratched necklace Drops from T0 dungeon
Support our devs!Veloren Open Collective